In order to be comfortable in your own skin, you must first and foremost love yourself. Secondly, great skincare is a must for that smooth, glowing skin. I have always been very particular with my skincare routine. And because I have allergies and sensitivities to numerous things, I must also be particular with my nutrition. I have learned over the years that I am sensitive to gluten and when I eat or use products daily which contain gluten then I not only get bloating and digestive issues but also breakouts on my face. Not many cosmetic brands are truly gluten-free so I have had to do my research and have tested and tried so many brands over the years. I now have some all time favs! I also appreciate products that use natural-based ingredients. What you put on your body is just as important as what you put in your body. I eat healthy the majority of the time besides some treats here and there and am really trying to focus more on buying organic, natural foods. Our bodies need the right nutrients to fight off damage and prevent illness and our skin is no different.
Do you know your skin is the biggest organ of the body? So now you can appreciate why it is so important to take good care of it. Here are some natural ways to maintain beautiful, youthful skin:
1. Drink plenty of water. Our bodies function less optimally when dehydrated and our skin certainly looks more dull, flaky, and saggy.
2. Eat foods with antioxidants. Antioxidants help fight diseases and reduce inflammation, which is the leading cause of wrinkle formation.
3. Eat colorful. Colorful fruits and veggies are nutrient-rich and help to neutralize the free radicals in our bodies which can cause damage to our cells.
4. Go organic. Organic foods do not contain harsh, synthetic chemicals and toxins which accelerate aging.
5. Limit exposure to the sun. Small amounts of sun is good as it produces Vitamin D which the body needs, but too much sun damages the skin. So make sure you lather your skin with zinc or titanium dioxide sunscreen for protection.
6. Use natural skin products. As I previously mentioned, many skin care products contain harsh chemicals. So do your research and study the ingredients.
7. Use non-toxic cleaning products. With our skin not only being the being the biggest organ of our body, but it is an external organ that also protects the internal organs. Our skin can absorb many environmental hazards and chemicals so limit exposure to them when possible.
8. Own a plant. A house plant can actually act as an air filter for indoor pollution which can be even higher than the pollution outdoors.
9. Get enough Vitamin C. This vitamin whether eaten or applied to the skin helps to avoid wrinkles by producing more collagen.
10. Avoid sugar. Sugar is very addictive and wreaks havoc on the body. Not only can it cause diabetes, but it can lead to damaged collagen and elastin which causes wrinkles.
11. Cleanse your body. Toxins can accumulate in your body from the air, water and food causing damage to our body and skin. A simple way to cleanse the body is to have a glass of water with squeezed lemon first thing every morning.
12. Eat healthy fats. Fatty acids in foods such as flax seeds, fish, avocados, olive oil and nuts are crucial for helping your skin stay moisturized and look young.
13. Engage in stress-relieving activities. We all know that stress can wreak havoc on our bodies, and it can also compromise your skin. Yoga, meditation and exercise of all kinds are great ways to relieve stress, and it also increases circulation of oxygen and nutrients and releases toxin through sweat, which will lead to clearer, firmer skin. Also eliminate negative or problematic people in your life, and open up to family or friends about your worries instead of keeping stress and emotions bottled up inside. And laugh often!!
14. Get quality sleep. Sleep helps rejuvenate and repair our skin, just as it does with our muscles from training at the gym.
And there you have it, my top 14 natural ways to improve the health and look of your skin! And trust me when I say, when you can be bare naked and comfortable in your own skin, it's the most freeing feeling in the world!!